What is LASIK?Lasik is used to correct refractive errors, LASIK eye surgery is a treatment that reshapes the cornea in order to produce clear vision. The LASIK refractive eye surgery procedure can treat myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism, and reduce patient's dependency on contact lenses and glasses. Refractive errors impede the focusing ability of the eye, patients who suffer from these conditions experience blurred vision. LASIK eye surgery provides these individuals with an effective treatment option, where a predetermined amount of corneal tissue is removed. This reshaping of the cornea improves the eye’s focusing power and enhances patients’ visual acuity.
What are the various tests done before Lasik/Customized Lasik?
The tests are mostly done a day before the procedure. The entire preoperative assessment process may take about 1-2 hours
- Spectacle power assessment
- Corneal topography and Pachymetry to assess the corneal curvature and thickness
- Aberrometry using Wavescan for customized Lasik
- Peripheral retinal examination after dilating the pupillary aperture of the eye
What is the surgical procedure for laser vision correction?
- The surgical procedure is relatively simple and takes only about 10-15 minutes for both the eyes
- The anaesthetic drops are first instilled to cause numbing of the eye. This may give rise to a slight burning sensation as soon as the drops are instilled
- A speculum (Clip) is placed to separate the eyelids and to prevent the patient from closing the eye during the procedure.The patient is asked to focus on a flashing red light
- An instrument known as the microkeratome is then used to raise a thin flap (120-140�) of the cornea. The red light may transiently disappear during this process. Alternatively the latest technique for making the flap is using a Femto second laser (INTRALASE) to make a highly precise and customized flap.
- The excimer laser then reshapes the cornea by removing a predetermined precise amount of tissue from the inner cornea. The flap is then repositioned back where it adheres immediately without the need for stitches or bandages
- Visual recovery is full in 24-48 hours.
- Small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) is a relatively new flawless refractive procedure designed to treat a multitude of refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism. The procedure involves using a femtosecond laser to create a corneal lenticule which is extracted whole through a small incision without the use of an excimer laser.
Why choose Lasik / Customized Lasik / Femto Lasik or SMILE?The number of people considering refractive surgery is at an all time high and Lasik is considered by virtually all refractive surgeons worldwide to be the procedure of choice today. The following are some of the benefits of Lasik/Customized Lasik
Femto LASIK and SMILE procedure are flawless procedures that minimize the risk of flap related complications. Advantages include minimal tissue destruction, quick post operative recovery and least incidence of dry eye.
- Simple to perform
- Brief recovery time
- Minimal discomfort
- Minimal post-op care
- Low enhancement rate
- Very low infection rate
- Very low risk of scarring
Does it correct Presbyopia?(Reading glasses after 40 years of age) This comes due to natural ageing process and cannot be corrected by the normal Lasik laser. A patient above 40years of age with fully corrected short sight (Myopia) may have to wear a reading glass after the procedure. However a newer customized Lasik procedure (Presby Lasik) is available which can correct presbyopia and your doctor will decide if you are a suitable candidate for the treatment.
Are the results stable?The results with Lasik are very stable and correction lasts for lifetime. In high power, some residual power may remain or a slight regression may happen over a period of time.
Are there any risks?The chance of vision reducing complication is less than 1% and no sight threatening problems (loss of vision) is recorded. Some side effects like night glare, under correction rarely occur in very high powers. There is also a small possibility of regression, especially in higher powers. Infection is a remote possibility with every surgical procedure.